Monday, April 9, 2012

A Mississippi spring break

After moving to MS, we decided to keep spring break week the same as GA schools so my sister and her family and mom could visit that week.  I'll have to say that one of the perks of homeschooling is choosing your own schedule.  It has been a full week which I am thankful for.  Having familiar faces around makes the transition to a new city a little easier.  My sister, bro-in-law, and their kids stayed through the weekend with one cousin spending the night each night.  This is a special thing for the cousins to share.  They love it!  I offered air mattresses and couches in our temporary space, but they opted for a nearby hotel with an indoor pool. I don't blame them:)  My mom stayed the remainder of the week which is so nice.  She is fun and helpful, and the kids LOVE her.  My husband will be the first to say he has a great MIL---and it's not for brownie points.  She is an easy guest who does not interfere or give unsolicited advice. Plus she stays up and watches Mad Men on Netflix with us.



Ne'Ne'

Our weekend started with a trip to the MS Children's Museum--a first visit for all of us since it is relatively new.  I didn't know what to expect, but it was really well done.  It has a little something for all ages and interests. We will definitely be going back.
















The remainder of the afternoon was spent playing at the park and swimming in the hotel pool.  All kids love a hotel pool--and it is a great way to get rid of extra energy. We ended the evening with a little Wii and a favorite comedy special.

Our next adventure was to drive down the Natchez Trace to the Cypress Swamp to see an alligator.  Ethan is always on the lookout for wildlife.  Our last trip here ended without spotting a gator, but this time was a success.  A grown alligator and baby alligator were hanging out on logs in the middle of the swamp.  The kids (and grownups) were super excited.  We also spotted a new beaver dam and beaver markings on surrounding trees--very cool.  The kids would also want me to share the 2 frogs and 9 herons.  It was definitely an eventful trip.  Sadly, we forgot the camera!

It was also a productive week with my mom here.  I sorted winter and spring clothes and reorganized some of the clutter that accumulates in a small space.  In between organizing and relaxing we did some fun stuff too.  We decided to visit the Jackson Zoo.  I was skeptical after reading the reviews.  Ethan is an animal lover, and I was worried about the condition of the animals. After a few people told me it had improved, we went for it.  To be honest it was not as bad as I had imagined, but it was not great.  I give it a C-.  The animals did look well cared for, and the exhibits were not as small as I had pictured.  The paths and landscaping look okay, but the structures are in need of repair!  There are renovation signs all over the place.  I wish someone would give the zoo a large donation or grant.  It could be a great space for the citizens of this state.  With that said--the boys loved it.  The carousel and train ride were a huge hit.  Not sure when we will go back, but I hope it continues to improve.












It was sad to drop my mom off at the end of the week, but we will visit soon.  Time to wrap up these last few weeks of school and get ready for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment